My challenge



Learning a foreign language is a challenge but learning it at an advanced age is also a great achievement. I still remember the first week of my first class, I felt like a little girl on her first day of class. I was nervous about not liking it or not being able to concentrate.  I had created a completely dramatic scenario in my head. 
            But after the first week, I felt relieved. I had been able to attend all my classes and had done all my homework in time.  But most importantly, I felt I had been reborn. But I haven’t done it on my own! Of course, we are responsible for our well-being, successes and failures, but the pleasant environment at UQAM’s École de langues had given me the opportunity to reach my achievements.  From day one, I met with Roisin, one of the amazing teachers who helped me understand my path. I have also had the privilege of having other great teachers throughout my certificate. This experience has allowed me to think and express myself differently. Today, I can claim that my decision to start the English certificate was a good one.  For me, being back in school gives me the opportunity to integrate and do things differently.
            In addition, as I have immigrated to Canada more than 28 years ago, I’ve had the opportunity to meet numerous new immigrants.  Over time, I have created good relations and I became a counsellor for some integrating immigrants with difficulties.  It’s incredible how rewarding it is to be able to help and contribute to the well-being of others. My message for newcomers is:  Don’t be afraid to take the lead! Language learning is a treasure that can only open doors for you.

Rabia Labbi


English Certificate Student


            I strongly recommend all who wish to learn and socialize in English to join the École de langues, a school where emphasis is placed on support and listening.  Believe me, I know from first-hand experience. UQAM’s École de langues is unique. Above all, it stands out for its programs, but also for its friendly environment with extraordinary professional and human simplicity making it a school of choice for learning and socially integrating.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE STUDENT—DESPITE… WHATEVER.

The C.L.I.C. at work

The First C.L.I.C. Discussion Event: Safe Round Table

Northern Irish English

Why have I left? Why will I go back?

CLIC BanQ Outing March 6th - Activity with students and their children

Why is Canada Suffering from Ever-increasing Obesity?