Overcoming Past


                 I started doing hard drugs when I was just 14 years old. Young, naïve and curious, I had been introduced to the wrong crowds. So, at 17, when I moved to the big city for college, I only did a month then dropped out. Rapidly, I got sucked into nightlife and drugs. To survive, I ended up doing questionable jobs, from prostitution to working as a stripper, and even dealing drugs. Of course, within just a few months I became addicted. By the age of 19, although I was making good money, something was terribly wrong.

                  After two years onto that dark path, I eventually realized how my life had been spiraling down. I looked at myself and everything I had done, and admitted I was worth more. I planned ahead, booked myself a trip and left 3 months in Europe. Stepping away from reality made me understand where I’d gone wrong. When I got back, I started fresh. Over the following years, I worked various legal and more modest jobs. I was on a quest to find meaning. While my new life made a bit more sense, I was still haunted by the demons of my past and attempted on many occasions to kick the habits.

                  At 22, feeling utterly empty, I decided it was time for further changes. I was filling the void with all the wrong things, so I returned to school hoping it would fix things. I completed two certificates part-time here at UQAM and even did the third of a degree. I alternated jobs, study programs, relationships and ways to escape hoping to find purpose. By that time, while I still struggled a bit with addictions and uncertainty, the path my life was following was much cleaner and thus, much clearer.
                 
                  By the age of 30, I had been places and had had lots of fun. Yet, I still had not found what I wanted from life, but I was on the right path. Despite many years of mistakes and bad choices, I had accomplished things and I had never abandoned fighting for a better life. Despite the instability, I found pride in my constant attempts at getting better. I realized then that what I had hoped for during all these years had actually occurred. I had found—me!

                  So, working full-time and nurturing a traveling passion, it took me more than 10 years to figure it out. I had to see through many perspectives, from the person I am when I fear and wish to abandon, to the person I am when I dream and strive to conquer, in order to get a glimpse of what I was hoping for.
                 
                  Had it emerged by itself? No. I had created it. I had created everything I was longing for. I had found my way out, all by myself. I had sought, I had tried, and I had fought to stay out. It is then I understood that the strength to fight my demons was already within me. I came to realize that what we seek is often already within us. We just need to be reminded of our worth. It has to do with hope and the will to live. It has to do with love and confidence. Through awareness and introspection, I had found a way to release this strength.

                  All along, what I needed to do was to create purpose. After trying and failing, I was finally succeeding. The ugliness turned into beauty, and pride became love. With this new self-love I dared dreaming of better tomorrows and decided on a path to follow in order to achieve dreams I was finally creating. I chose to pass on what I learned. I chose to seek opportunities to learn, to teach, and to pursue for the greater good. So, I started the English certificate and was given an opportunity. After years of efforts and numerous mistakes, unexpectedly, I had what I had hoped for­­­­—purpose.  
                 
                  I have absolutely no regrets. I know I had to follow such a road to understand what I now understand, and to be who I am today. Soon to be completing my studies, not only have I learned how to be a better citizen and professional, I have learned to be a better human.
I am love, the dreams and the possibilities.
We all are.

Anonymous
English certificate student

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE STUDENT—DESPITE… WHATEVER.

The C.L.I.C. at work

The First C.L.I.C. Discussion Event: Safe Round Table

Northern Irish English

Why have I left? Why will I go back?

CLIC BanQ Outing March 6th - Activity with students and their children

Why is Canada Suffering from Ever-increasing Obesity?